How do you choose your homestay providers?
1. All new homestay providers are asked to complete a comprehensive questionnaire so we know all about them.
2. The accommodation officer then visits them, inspects their home, talks to all the household members (if possible) and guides them through the rules and regulations. If they are suitable, we will give them a trial.
3. A homestay provider will not be used if feedback is consistently poor or they break guidelines.
Can I change my homestay?
1. The school will change your homestay immediately if there is a serious problem or the homestay provider does not follow the English UK code of practice.
2. If there is a small problem, we will try to resolve it for you and the homestay provider first.
3. However, if you are not happy (but there is no strong reason) you can move if you give one week’s notice and we have other hosts available to take you.
4. However, if you do not give us the notice, you must pay one week’s money to the homestay provider (via the school).
5. Normally, we can help you find a new home three times, no more.
What can I do if I’m unhappy with my homestay?
1. Go and see the homestay officer immediately.
2. You can tell your teacher and ask them to speak to the homestay officer.
3. At the end of the first week, you are given a questionnaire. You should fill it in and say if you are not happy.
Do I get my homestay money back if I move to a flat from a homestay?
Yes, you will get 100% refund if you give the required one week (7 days) notice.
Do students have to do their own laundry?
It depends on the homestay provider and the student. Most homestay providers will do your laundry, but some may show you how to use the washing machine so that you can wash your own clothes.
Do students have a single room?
All adult students are placed in a single room unless they ask to share with a friend who is also studying here.
Can students choose their families?
No, that would be difficult for us, but we do look at your preferences carefully, e.g. if you have an allergy to pet hair or certain food types, do not eat meat, etc.
Can I smoke in the house?
No. If you smoke, you should expect to go outside.
For more information about staying with a homestay provider please see our student blog.