Meet our ‘Queen of the Suburbs’ – Ealing, W5. Situated in West London, Ealing is just 20 minutes by Tube from both central London and Heathrow Airport. The four stations serving the area on the Piccadilly, District and Central Lines are: North Ealing; Ealing Broadway; Ealing Common; and South Ealing.
So, LTC London is well-connected, well-placed and well-heeled. Ealing may have a Common but there’s certainly nothing common about it! (We’re testing your English now – more on that *homonym later…)
Ealing is the ‘real London’ the place where people live, rest and play. It has the impressive and vibrant elements that central London has to offer at less of the cost. It’s one of the leafy, prosperous parts of town where people raise their families and live their lives. It gives an authentic experience for students who become part of a local family; feel part of the city; and immerse themselves in a true London life.
So let’s give you a tour. The shopping and ‘café culture’ area is Ealing Broadway and the leisure area is Ealing Common. A highlight, Ealing Common is one of London’s famous green spaces that is a slice of English countryside right in the city. A perfect place to relax for a picnic, go for a run, have a stroll or a cycle and to appreciate the British seasons and yes, the best of the British weather!
Other nearby sights and attractions to Ealing include:
• Westfield Shopping Centre – The home of shopping in London. And, yes, it even beats Oxford Street.
• Ealing Film Studios: The Importance of Being Earnest (2002), Shaun of the Dead (2005) and TV series Downton Abbey have all been filmed here and the Met Film School London is also based here. A must for all British film buffs!
• Kew Gardens: The world-famous, botanical gardens – www.kew.org
• Richmond Upon Thames: Visit Royal Richmond Palace and located on the river opposite, Twickenham, the home of Rugby
• Kensington & Chelsea: The famous shopping area with Harrods and Harvey Nichols for ‘retail therapy’, afternoon tea or a spot of football at Stamford Bridge!
So you can see, London LTC is one of the best kept secrets for English language learners in London – safe, authentic, invigorating and interesting – Ealing is the ‘Queen of the Suburbs’ and a jewel in our crown of Greater London. There is ‘a Common’ but Ealing is definitely more regal and special than that.
Our Homonyms Hotspot!
Homonyms are words that are both spelled and pronounced the same, but have different meanings. Common is one of them.
As an adjective ‘common’ includes in its meanings:
– widespread; general; ordinary: of mediocre or inferior quality; lower-class.
As a noun, as in ‘Ealing Common’, it means:
– a tract of land owned or used jointly by the residents of a community, usually a central square or park in a city or town.
Link here to find your learners’ list of other common homonyms and homophones in English. How many do you know?
Take a look on-line at Ealing:
Twitter hour for Ealing – https://twitter.com/ealinghour , 8pm Tuesdays. Local business give offers and promotions. It’s an excellent opportunity to learn about the local area.
See what people are saying: