COVID-19 Update - Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, we are forced to temporarily close our school premises. Our courses continue to be delivered online, and our student services, admissions and sales departments remain fully operational for any inquires or concerns. Read more

Homestay Providers and Student Visas

Under government “right to rent” regulations, homestay providers must check that long-stay adult students have the right to stay in the UK.

If your student is under 18 or staying less than six weeks, do nothing.

If you are not sure, you can check your student’s age in their passport or ID card.

If your student is age 18 or over and staying longer than six weeks, you must:

1. See their main passport page or ID card but do not take a copy of it.

2. If they have a visa or an entry stamp, you must see it and take a copy of it for your records. You can either:

  • Photocopy it and write the date on the photocopy or
  • Copy it onto your computer or
  • Just take a photo of it

Tell the student you will not do anything with this copy apart from keep it for one year.  Under data protection laws, you are not allowed to share this copy without their permission.

If you are worried about what to do, wait until Monday and contact the school.

A visa in a student’s passport usually looks something like this:

Visa Example 2

A few students may have a visa card like this:

Visa Card Example

Some students will just have an entry stamp in their passport, which looks like this:

Entry Stamp


Students from these European countries do not have a visa or an entry stamp. Just ask to see their passport or ID card but do not copy it.

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus (Republic of), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.


Ask to see the student’s main passport page but do not copy it.

If the student is 18 or over and staying longer than six weeks, ask to see their entry stamp or visa and copy it or photograph it.